Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Singapore has EvEryTHinG!!!!


So who would have thought there would be a jazz band in Singapore?

I must say Singapore has it all! I thought the chicken rice and prata were my major highlights, but I discovered an experience on Wednesday after our farewell dinner that reminded me of home! A few of us went to the second floor of the restaurant on Wednesday and tapped our toes and snapped our fingers to the familiar rhythms of jazz. My favorite part by far was when they played "Summertime" and the songstress began to scat along with the trumpet solo. It was a bit surprising to me because I didn't expect such music in Singapore. So, as I listened to her beautiful voice complimented by the smooth trumpet and subtle base, I thought about other things I misjudged or didn't realize about Singapore.


Singapore, despite my relatives beliefs, is not China! It is actually a place where you can find a little of everyone’s culture in some way. Walking along the river in Clarke Quay, we saw soooo many shops that resembled Chinese, Malaysian, Indian, British, North and South American culture. I thought it was amazing being able to see so many different outlooks on life. My favorite of all was, however, being able to see how Africans adapted to Singapore. Being an African American, a lot of times when I went places I was asked if I was from Nigeria, South Africa, and even the Congo. It was kind of cool because in America I've never been asked such a question. Being here for this the 6th week in Singapore has really changed my life as I believe it has done for all 25 of us. But in particular I believe the greatest lesson learned thus far from being here is that: "you miss out on things when you judge it". I never would have thought that Singapore would make me feel this safe and comfortable. I also never thought Singapore would have such a diverse group of people and places. I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't been awarded this opportunity to go on this trip and see for myself just how great and unique Singapore really is. A lot of decisions can be made because of fear that it may be this or may be that, but I've learned to try it out and go with it because in the end you might be surprised and actually find something that is not so different, but something that reminds you a little of home. I have enjoyed this trip and couldn't possibly ask for a better way to spend my 2008 Summer. Thank you to everyone who has made this possible, especially Barb and Alston!!!!


-Monique Hardin



No comments: