Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Week Two, continued


This week, fortunately, has been slower for us all. Our classwork is beginning to catch up with us, to say the least! After the phenomenal homestays we were all able to experience this weekend, our main visit this week was to the Economic Development Board of Singapore to learn about its role, naturally, in the economy of Singapore. We were able to ask as many questions as we wanted and the trip was very informative! :)
Patrick will be providing the update after our highly anticipated trip to Malaysia this weekend (which starts tomorrow, bright and early, at 6:15 AM sharp!) I, however, get to ramble on about Singapore for a while and about this wonderful opportunity we have all been so privileged to experience.
I was having a really profound conversation with Jared, a fellow SEAS participant, today when we talked about the blog - about what to share, and how to convey how much of an impact this trip has had on us...but to the outside world, our audience. It has made me realize so much about life, especially since this is my first real trip outside of the country (and lasting eight weeks, at that!) I'm not going to deny the waves of homesickness I've had. And my occasionally ambiguous feelings towards having rice two times a day, seven days a week, and not knowing the names of ANY of the other foods I eat. It's an experience, however, that's only available once in a lifetime. And I'm learning more to step outside of my box and embrace new things. We've all learned so much about ourselves and the societal, economical, and political systems of other cultures (experienced first hand!)...and it has only been two weeks! We've also gotten to become such close friends in a short amount of time - and I know that some of these friendships will be the kind that last, even once college is done :)

(A prime example of the wonderful kind of companions I have on this trip, and the bizarre foods we've come across! :D)

As for classes, which are still an integral part of the study abroad (can't do study abroad without the study part, at least), we have learned SO much. The political and economical structures of Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia...it's all becoming clear to me now :) Which is an amazing feeling! A huge thanks to our wonderful professors who came with us (yes, I'm hoping for brownie points via blogging) as well as to our NUS professor, who has been an absolute delight for us all. Not only do they all go out of their way as we are accompanied on all trips by our UNC professors, but our NUS professor also scheduled two movie meetings for us to learn more about Singapore's culture via videos. Singapore Dreaming was absolutely wonderful, and incredibly enlightening!
If you want to hear more from any of us, several already have blogs existing on the interwebs :) You can check out my own from my website or directly go to my blog!
Hope everyone is enjoying hearing our ramblings about Singapore!


Zai jian!

-Megan Carriker

No comments: